Experience the stunning landscapes that lemurs call home on this 21-day in-depth tour through Madagascar's best sites and natural settings. At the Indri Special Reserve in Andasibe-Perinet National Park, you can spot rare species like large chameleons, the blue boa, and flowering orchids in October and November. Stop at the Anja Community Reserve, known for its ring-tailed lemurs, before driving through beautiful desert landscapes to reach the beautiful beaches of Ifaty. In between, you'll meet and chat with locals and learn about their artistic traditions and ways of life for a better appreciation of the land you're visiting.
- Travel Style : Classic
- Service Level : Standard
- Physical Grading : 3 - Average
- Merchandising : New Trips
- Merchandising : Planeterra Project
- Trip Type : Small Group
- What's Included:Your G for Good Moment: Soa Zara Tree Planting Project, Ranohira
Your Welcome Moment: Meet Your CEO and Group
Your Local Living Moment: Community Guesthouse and Traditional Dinner, Fiadanana
Your Discover Moment: Ifaty. Andasibe Indri Special Reserve guided walk. Artisan workshop visit. Traditional healer visit. Paper factory visits. Anja Reserve walk. Isalo National Park visit. Amber Mountain National Park and Ankarana Reserve visits. Nosy Komba & Nosy Tanikely boat tour. Free Time in Nosy Be. Internal flights. All transport between destinations and to/from included activities.
- Highlights:Witness spectacular flora and fauna in the Indri Special Reserve, Spot up to 10 diurnal and nocturnal lemur species, Learn traditional rituals from local villagers, Visit a local paper factory in Ambalavao, See ring-tailed lemurs at Anja Community Reserve, Drive through desert landscapes en route to Toliara, See limestone "tsingy" rock formations in the Ankarana Reserve, Relax on the beaches of Nosy Be.
- Group Size Notes:Max 16, avg 12
- Meals Included:8 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
- Transport:Private minibus, walking, plane, boat.
- Accommodation:Simple hotels (17 nts), community guesthouse (1 nt, multi-share), huts (2 nts).
- Joining Instructions:Please note that Day 1 is an arrival day and no activities have been planned for that day other then your welcome meeting in the evening, so you can arrive at any time.
If you have pre-arranged an arrival transfer, look for the driver holding a G Adventures sign in the arrivals hall inside the airport terminal, the sign will not have your name on it, instead our driver will ask for your name as confirmation of your transfer with us. We recommend you to change your money at the airport into local currency, please ask your representative for help. Please avoid any help offered from porters in the airport as they demand compensation for their services and they can be misleading at times. Only accept help from your G Adventures representative.
Please note that Day 1 is an arrival day and no activities have been planned for that day other then your welcome meeting in the evening, so you can arrive at any time.
A G Adventures Representative will organize a short meeting soon after arrival, during which you will meet other tour participants and receive information about general and specific aspects of the trip. A welcome note will be left for you in the hotel so you have all the necessary information regarding the meeting time. If you arrive late, s/he will leave you a message detailing what time and where you should meet the next morning.
- Emergency Contact:Should you need to contact us during a situation of dire need, it is best to first call either the G Adventures Local Representative (if one is listed below) or our G Adventures Local Office. If for any reason you do not receive an immediate answer, please leave a detailed message and contact information, so they may return your call and assist you as soon as possible.
If you have purchased an arrival through G Adventures or if an arrival transfer is included in the cost of your tour, please note that your arrival transfer has been arranged based on flight information provided to us. If you are advised of a flight schedule change within 48 hours of your scheduled arrival time, we will do our best to rearrange your arrival transfer however we cannot guarantee this. If your arrival transfer does not arrive within 30 minutes after you have exited the arrivals area please take a taxi to your start point hotel.
EMERGENCY CONTACT NUMBERS
G Adventures Local Representative (Madagascar)
During Office hours (Weekdays, 8am-5pm Local Time): +261 202 202 012
After hours emergency number : +261 32 07 11511
G Adventures Local Office (Nairobi, Kenya)
From outside Kenya: +254 727 208 832
From within Kenya: 0727 208 832
If you are unable for any reason to contact our local office, please call the numbers listed below, which will connect you directly with our 24 hour Sales team, who will happily assist you.
Toll-free, North America only: 1 888 800 4100
Calls from UK: 0344 272 0000
Calls from Germany: 0800 365 1000
Calls from Australia: 1 300 796 618
Calls from New Zealand: 0800 333 307
Outside North America, Australia, New Zealand, Germany and the UK: +1 416 260 0999
- Packing List:Note: Please ensure you bring a breathable rain jacket if you are travelling to Madagascar between November and April where the climate is usually hot and rainy.
- Visas and Entry Requirements:All countries require travellers to have a valid passport (with a minimum of 6 months validity). Please note that upon arrival by air or by land to Madagascar, all non-Malagasy nationals must pay a fee of 120,000 Ariary (about 35 EUR/ 37 USD/ 27 GBP at time of writing) for a tourist visa of 30 days or less (adults and children). Payment for this can be made directly at the border or airport and all major currencies are accepted. We advise our travellers to ensure they have close to the exact amount needed in bills (plus a little extra to account for any fluctuations). Cash is preferred. Any change will be given in Malagasy Ariary.
If you arrive into Ivato Airport (Antananarivo), you should make your way to the border control desk closest to the Direction Generale des Impots (DGI) Office where there is an electronic sign indicating the cost of the visa.
The information above is accurate as of February 22nd, 2018, however we always advise our travellers to check with their Embassy/Consulate for the most up-to-date information as fees and policies frequently change. It is the travellers responsibility to have the correct travel documentation.
It may be required to show a Yellow Fever certificate upon entering the country. Please check in with your local consulate and health expert for advice on Yellow Fever and other inoculations required for this area.
- Optional Activities:Antananarivo
- The Prime Minister’s Palace Visit (20000MGA per person)
- Queen’s Palace Visit (15000MGA per person)
- Tsarasaotra Bird Park (25000MGA per person)
- Antananarivo City Tour
- Mitsinjo Park (35000-50000MGA per person)
- Vondron’olona Ifotony Reserve (45000MGA per person)
- Andasibe-Perinet National Park Guided Walk (Afternoon) (75000MGA per person)
- Silk Factory Visit (2EUR per person)
Ranomafana National Park
- Thermal Pool Swim (15000MGA per person)
- Town Visit
- Morning Forest Walk (20-25EUR per person)
- Snorkelling (320000MGA per person)
- Reniala Spiny Forest Reserve Visit (35000MGA per person)
- Quad Biking (230000MGA per person)
- Fishing (30000-800000MGA per person)
- Dugout Canoe Ride (30000MGA per person)
- Minimum Age:You must be 18 to travel unaccompanied on a G Adventures tour. For minors travelling with a guardian over 21 years old, the minimum age is 12.
- International Flights:Check-in times and baggage allowances/restrictions vary by airline and can change at any time. For the most up-to-date information for your flight, please contact your airline. We recommend checking in online in advance to avoid potential delays at the airport.
Itinerary (21 days)
Arrive at any time.
Travel to Andasibe-Perinet National Park with scenic stops en route. Stay in a quiet area near Andasibe and explore the Indri Special Reserve section of this massive area.
Spend the day exploring this national park. Stay in a quiet area near Andasibe and explore the Indri Special Reserve section of this massive area.
Travel to the colonial city of Antsirabe, stopping to see rice paddies along the way.
Visit Lake Andraikiba before continuing to the small village of Fiadanana. Opt to explore this beautiful village. Listen to a ghost talker, enjoy a stay at a community guesthouse, and dinner with a local family.
Learn traditional rituals from the local villagers. Hike back to the bus taking in the stunning views. Continue on to Ranomafana.
Opt for an early morning forest walk to get a feel for the incredible wildlife of the area, or explore on your own. In the afternoon, enjoy a scenic journey heading south through Madagascar's wine-producing region.
Stop at Anja Community Reserve, known for groups of ring-tailed lemurs. Continue on through the ever-changing landscape to Ranohira and Isalo National Park.
Spend the day exploring Isalo National park on foot, stopping at a natural swimming pool and waterfalls. In the evening visit the G Adventures supported tree planting project near Ranohira, creating a green corridor to protect the biodiversity of Isalo National Park.
Drive through the desert landscape, viewing Mahafaly tombs and giant baobab trees en route. Continue to the beautiful Mozambican Channel beaches of Ifaty.
Spend two full days enjoying this gorgeous area. Opt to do some hiking or hit the beach.
Spend two full days enjoying this gorgeous area. Opt to do some hiking or hit the beach.
Travel to Toliara for a flight to Antananarivo and an optional last night out on the town.
Fly to Antsiranana and meet your group for second part of the tour.
Amber Mountain National Park
Drive to Amber Mountains National Park, with a full day to explore the various forest trails. Watch for lemurs, birds and reptiles and marvel at the many waterfalls and volcanic lakes.
Amber Mountain/Ankarana Reserve
Continue on to Ankarana Reserve, home to spectacular limestone 'tsingy' rock formations, underground rivers and sacred caves.
Continue exploring the Ankarana Reserve on foot.
Ankarana Reserve/Nosy Be
Enjoy the scenic journey south to the small fishing village of Ankify, where we get a boat across to the island paradise of Nosy Be.
Nosy Komba & Nosy Tanikely
Head out on a local pirogue to explore 'the lemur island' Nosy Komba, and the underwater paradise of Nosy Tanikely, a marine reserve.
Spend the day enjoying this gorgeous area. Opt to do some hiking or hit the beach.
Depart at any time.